Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bountiful and Eventful








At the beginning of the week, Barbara wrote, “I just got back from the garden and, as always, I'm in awe of this little garden and its production!”

Gillian’s weekly log:
This week was bountiful and eventful!

Tuesday, September 15th:
Harvested loads of tomatoes. The Merc Deli bought 20 lbs; Genovese bought the remaining 27 1/4 lbs.

Wednesday, September 16th:
This was a very eventful day. First, it was the first day to use the water tanks! (We have not needed to water since the tanks were finished.)  I watered for about 4 hours and noticed about a third of the tank was gone.

Second, staff from television station KTWU, Channel 11 Sunflower Journeys program came out and recorded the students in the garden for an upcoming show about Prairie Moon and the Okanis Garden. Kris's class helped harvest cherry tomatoes, and Bret's class dug the rest of the fingerling potatoes.

The students and I harvested 6 pounds of yard long pole beans, and I sold them to the Merc Deli. I harvested 20 colored sweet bell peppers, about 2.5 lbs of greens (spinach, kale and arugula), and also harvested even more heirloom tomatoes!  Wow! Those tomatoes are so productive. The greens are the first of the fall harvest.

Thursday, September 17th:
Picked flowers and herbs.
Thursday evening Genovese presented another tomato festival, which I attended. They used the Velencia heirloom tomatoes from the Okanis Garden in an amazing bison stew!  

Saturday, September 19th:
I spent about an hour saving seeds.  I have lots but can save many more for the Kaw Valley Farm Tour, coming up Oct. 3 and 4.  We should have plenty.

Sunday, September 20th:
Worms!!!  (The Prairie Moon worm bin constructed during the 2009 summer session has been awaiting occupents.) My dad came to Lawrence, and we went out and gave the worms a new home.  He gave me detailed instructions on how to feed them. They can be overfed very easily, especially when they're trying to get established. I'll see if they're eating this coming Tuesday and go from there.  I can write out the instructions on the care this week.

This past week's weather:
No precipitation and the average high was around 80.

In the Okanis CSA bag this week: Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, heirloom tomatoes (Yellow Bell Plum, Japanese Black Trifele, Valencia), mixed fresh greens (spinach, arugula, kale, nasturtium petals), sage and basil, flowers, e-recipe.